If you know me, you’ll know that I love taking good care of myself and it’s yet another holiday season meaning that I have a break from school work, working as a counsellor, and freelancing and this holiday season is one of the best times to pamper and spoil myself! I always practice self care. Matter of fact, I love giving myself some love and care. I define self care as a deliberate or conscious effort one makes in order to improve their mental, emotional and physical health.
Self care is a very important part of living a healthy life. Some people are extremely busy people but one of the reasons I love Christmas is because Christmas gives an opportunity to take a break and relax for a bit! Like I mentioned earlier I am obsessed with caring for my self and so I want to share with you some amazing self care tips to practice this holiday season.
1) Reflect on the whole year: The year went by kinda fast right? There were smooth times and there were rough patches too. Ask yourself questions. What do you regret doing this year? Which areas do you feel you didn’t do well in? What measures will you take to make next year a lot better? Reflecting on the whole year is very vital as it helps you improve, move forward and it also helps you identify and correct the mistakes you made.
2) Reflect on the goals you had at the beginning of the year: I’m pretty sure that at the beginning of this year you put together a list of things you wanted to achieve. I love writing my goals down so at the beginning of this year, I wrote my goals in a journal. Reflect on the goals you had at the beginning of the year, write them down if you have not written them down then highlight the ones you achieved or tick the ones you achieved and cross out the ones that are yet to be achieved. Congratulate yourself on the ones you achieved and let yourself know that there’s room for improvement and also let yourself know that it is not impossible to achieve the goals you didn’t achieve this year. Below is how I write down and reflect on my goals at the end of the year.
My goals at the beginning of this year were:
1) Increase my grades in school.
2) Go closer to God
3) Read my books everyday.
4) Start a blog.
5) Get my shit together.
As you can see above, I wrote down the goals I wanted to achieve this year (my goals for this year). I put a check mark on the goals I achieved and I crossed out the ones that I didn’t achieve.
5) Get enough sleep
6) Say positive affirmations to yourself: The power of positive affirmations can never be overemphasized. Saying positive things to yourself is a way of caring for yourself. I love saying positive affirmations to myself because positive affirmations lead to positive thinking.
7) Treat yourself to your favorite: Self care isn’t only about the mental and emotional stuff. It’s about the physical stuffs too. If you love pizzas, go out and get yourself an extra large pizza. Spoil yourself with the things you love. Treating yourself to the things you love is a way of practicing self care!
8) Forgive yourself: Some people find it so difficult to forgive themselves. Forgiving yourself is one of the most important aspects of self care. I get the fact that forgiving might take time and patience but forgiving yourself is very crucial. Forgiving yourself is necessary and it is a very important part of self care. Whenever you forgive yourself, you help yourself so forgive yourself and let go!