It’s been quite a while since I dropped something on here. I took a blogging break. I had so much going on that I just decided it would be best to take a break from blogging. While, I might not be fully back from my blogging break, I just had to post as it’s RLG’s first anniversary. Few days ago, on the 25th of November, RLG clocked 1! The 25th of November was RLG’s 1st anniversary. Yeah, you heard right! RLG’s 1st anniversary. I was meant to have published this post on the 25th of November lol but life got in the way and here I am celebrating a late anniversary. Better late than never tho.
It’s RLG’s first anniversary. RLG is 1!!!! I am so excited! I can’t believe it’s been one year already. One year ago, with no blogging experience whatsoever, I started this blog. One year ago, RLG was born into the blogosphere and to be honest, it’s been an amazing, fun and worthwhile experience.
Though there were tough times, struggles, times where I felt like giving up and times where I felt like I wasn’t doing enough, I am extremely proud of myself for not giving up and for building something this beautiful. I am very proud of this blog and how far it has come. But guess what? I couldn’t have come this far without God and without you, yes you so, I want to use this opportunity to say thank you so much for your support and for sticking around. Whether you read the blog consistently, comment on posts, share or anything at all, you have supported the blog and I really appreciate it. Thank you so much.
For me, marking one year of blogging, marking RLG’s first anniversary is a huge huge achievement as blogs are created everyday and not all of them cross the 1 year milestone. Blogging is a hectic job. And being able to keep up with it shows determination. Also, I juggle blogging with school and if anything, it’s stressful. I am glad I was able to juggle blogging with university and still come this far. That’s no easy feat!
Table of Contents
What happened in the past year?
So, on the 25th of November 2020, I created Ruthiee Loves Glamour. It’s been one year already and during this period of blogging, I learnt a bunch of new stuff (when I started this blog, I knew absolutely nothing about blogging and it’s crazy how much I have learnt in just one year), I met new people (bloggers and non bloggers), and I have received outpouring love.
I started this blog as a creative outlet. A place where I could help people become better versions of themselves and help them live their best lives but I never ever imagined getting so much love and support from people, even those who I met online. The love and support has been massive to say the least and I appreciate it. I really don’t take it for granted.
Blogging has changed my life in more ways than one. It’s been an amazing experience and starting a blog is by far the best thing I have ever done. Enough of all the rants now lol. Since today is RLG’s 1st anniversary, I thought it’d be great to share some of the things I learnt in one year of blogging. Below are some things I learnt in one year of blogging.
Things I learnt in one year of blogging.
- Be true to yourself: One of the most important things I learnt in one year of blogging is that, in this saturated world of blogging, there’s nothing like just doing you. Darlings, there are thousands of blogs out there but being authentic with yourself and your audience sets you apart from the bunch of other bloggers. Just be yourself, your audience will love you for who you are.
- Blogging is a learning sphere: Blogging allows you to learn new things. There’s a lot of things I have learnt and a lot of skills I have acquired all thanks to blogging. If you really want to make your blog into something fantastic, you need to be ready to learn.
- Social media followers aren’t everything: Let’s be honest here, seeing those big number of followings you have on social media can bring a really good feeling. Everyone would love to have a good social media following or at least I haven’t seen anyone who doesn’t like a huge social media following. Also, big brands would get more interested in working with you if you have a good amount of followers but guess what? You can have thousands of followers on social media but zero engagement on your blog. The numbers and stats are important trust me but they aren’t everything. Large number of followers doesn’t always mean good engagement.
- You are not alone: Blogging has made me understand that no matter what you think you are going through, no matter how tough your situation is, you are not alone and there are people going through the exact same thing as you. Sometimes, when I am going through some challenges, I put it on here and I get comments from different people stating that they are going through the exact same thing. Honestly, knowing that there are other people going through the same thing as me makes me feel less alone in my fight and it makes me even more determined to get through whatever I am going through.
- Blogging is not a walk in the park: People think blogging is no hard work and I don’t blame them because you never really know until you get into it. Blogging is hard work and it’s just as time consuming and energy demanding as a 9-5 job. When people say ‘I am a blogger’, the typical average human thinks oh you just sit at home operating a laptop, that’s no big deal but in real sense, blogging is a lot of work and I have genuine respect for all the bloggers out there.
- It’s okay to take a break: For some reason, a lot of bloggers find it difficult to take breaks from blogging but guess what fellow bloggers, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with taking a break. I understand your fears as I used to have those fears too. You don’t want to take a break and end up coming back to find that you and your blog have been forgotten and all that but guess what? You won’t be forgotten and your blog won’t be forgotten either. I have taken so many blogging breaks in the space of one year and I wasn’t forgotten, my blog wasn’t forgotten either. There are so many benefits of taking breaks and breaks are necessary every now and then. So, whenever you start to feel like a break would be of help, do not hesitate to take a break. Your audience will still be there when you come back!
I learnt a lot of things from blogging. There are a bunch of things I learnt in one year of blogging but above are some (a sneak peek actually) of the many things I learnt in one year of blogging. Let’s talk about other things now!
One thing about RLG that I am proud of?
I am proud of how much I have been able to touch and inspire people using this blog. It makes me happy to know that people relate so much with most of my content. I am proud of the fact that it’s RLG’s 1st anniversary! Also, I am proud of this blog’s domain authority. When I got to know about domain authority, I was determined to reach a domain authority of 15 before RLG’s first anniversary. Tho, I didn’t hit that target, I got very close as right now, RLG has a DA of 13. I am proud of me for getting so close to my target. And in my opinion, that’s quite good for a first time blogger lol.
One thing I would love to work on in the coming months?
So, the truth is, I didn’t focus on growing my social media channels in this past year. Not that I don’t want my social media channels to grow, I just didn’t have the time. I had so much to do already, – making sure the blog is in it’s best state, writing blog posts, attending to freelance orders (I had a bunch of freelance orders), attending lectures, doing assignments and more. I felt adding building my social media accounts to the already cumbersome list would be a bad idea lol and so, my social media accounts suffered lol. I’ll be changing that tho, I want to start working on and being consistent on my social media accounts.
Well, with these, I would love to bring this post to a close. RLG’s first anniversary got me all excited! It’s been one hell of an amazing year and I would be lying if I say I am not happy, grateful and satisfied with how much the blog has grown. I am filled with gratitude to God and everyone who has supported this blog in one way or the other. Tho, this is RLG’s first anniversary, there will be many more anniversaries to come and I wish the blog more wins, more growth and prosperity in all areas. AMEN!